Sunday, June 1, 2008

On a hot sunday afternoon...

It is almost 30 degrees...the grass outside is brown. I decide to take a nap. I am too tired and life has not been too optimistic lately. I am halfway into my nap when the door bell rings. I open the door and its a young girl about 14 years old.

"Hi! my school mates and I are trying to collect money for a summer trip to prague..."

I look at the tray she is carrying, a collection of tea and coffee. She tells me how special the tea is and how much it costs..apparently I can get a discount depending on how much I buy...

"I 'll see what I have" I say, as I go into the kitchen and bring out my coin box.

"Can I have a glass of water?" she calls out from the door way.

"Come in, would you like coke instead? I have ice too" I say.

She comes in and tells me how hot it is, nobody opens their door, and if they do, they are so rude...they just shout "I don't want anything" and bang the door, she says.

"Yeah, people here are stingy". I laugh as she drinks her glass of coke with ice.

"So lets see what you have" I say.

She recommends a mixture of orange and cactus...or something strange like that....

I tell her I will trust her suggestion and hunt her down if she is wrong.

She laughs and then she says one of the best things I have heard from a stranger this year...

"You are so nice! You let me come in and then you give me coke...that has never happened to me...people are never that nice...and you are so happy...I hope I'll be like you when I grow up"

Imagine! That is what that child says!

I smile at her and wish her good luck and now, I do not think I can sleep anymore. I think I am going to take a shower and feel pretty satisfied with my soul for a while.

14 comments:

Comb & Razor said...

it's such a lovely thing to meet nice people and get the opportunity to be nice yourself...

me, at this point, i am WAY too cynical! i probably wouldn't have left that little girl in the house for fear that the moment she comes in, she might club me over the head and sexually assault me or something!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet Waffarian. I think I will skip my nap too now.

It seems more and more kids are becoming sensitive to their impending unhappiness. My nephew when he was about 8 years old said to his then "happy" 6 year old cousin (also my nephew), that he will not be so happy when he gets to be his age. Imagine that! What is happening to this world.

Barbarella123 said...

Same here i would never have let her into my house. I might be accused of trying to entice a minor..

Anonymous said...

u nice...but sorry i am sure i would have slammed the door in her face!!!before they say i molested a samesex child!!

Anonymous said...

yes. u should feel pretty satisfied with ur soul, not just for a while, but always. most times, these little ones sees in us what we dont believe is there.

Jeremy said...

Its funny how simple acts of giving like this can make one feel so happy and at peace, and yet how rare it us for us to give of ourselves in this way. Why do we not give of ourselves more when we know it is the best way to become happy?

I also believe the more you give, the more will be given to you. Its the basic law of karma.

You gave out a small bubble of love into the world. It will come back to you - wait and see..

Naapali said...

Well done. Isn't it nice that simple acts of kindness can make such great impacts on people's lives.

You were both kind to each other and subsequently enriched by the experience.

Thanks for sharing.

LG said...

awwwww... u got me smiling to d last sentence. dat was so sweet and thoughtful of U, God bless U.
also i'm wit jeremy, u sure ll get urs

cheers!!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I've got a big grin on my face. Thanks for sharing this and for being nice to a little, tired, thirsty girl.

Ms. Catwalq said...

that gives me an idea for a fundraiser...who will help me sell kulikuli in waffy town?
they'll like it. Walahi!!!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet. I too would like to be like you.

Unknown said...

Such an act of kindness is so rare this days. It's so sad that the world is like it is. You showed with your open heart and act of kindness that a little bit can mean so much.

brap said...

You ought to feel satisfied with yourself....ps I can't wait to read your story on 14th you had better be at it.

brap said...

aaw...you ought to be satisfied with yourself...ps. totally looking forward to your contribution to 14th you had better be at it...