Thursday, September 20, 2007

And off you go!

Its 4 o'clock in the morning and I just dropped off my brother at the airport. We talked about many things, his aspirations, dreams, hopes, goals and life in general. He has great hopes for his future and he spoke with such determination in his eyes that I know he will achieve all his goals. Discussing with him brought back so many memories of the 18 yr old who left Nigeria many years ago. I remember my father talking to me at the airport, I remember crying as I waved him goodbye, I remember being scared on the plane, I remember feeling cold and thinking everything seemed strange. Those days are long gone now and instead of a scared girl, I am now a woman giving the same advice my father gave me years ago "buy a bus card immediately, so you can move around", "stay out of trouble", it all sounded so foreign to my ears, has time gone by that fast? I still remember carrying him on my bicycle, taking him to school, I remember our secret treats of "fried fish and yam" from a roadside seller, I remember him chasing me out of the house with a stick, I remember when he could not pronounce my name properly, I remember all this and I want to cry. He has grown and I am so proud of my brother who today told me his hopes of saving enough money so he could take care of mummy, she is getting old, of finishing the house my father started. It struck me that his dreams were so unselfish, thoughts of others. As he starts his journey into adulthood and life, I close my eyes and pray.....

Dear Lord, guide my brother, let him continue to be the good and kind person you have made, may his days on earth be full of love and kindness, may his life continue to be a blessing to everyone around him, but most of all, give him happiness and fulfillment.

The world is waiting, off you go!

8 comments:

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

It is well with your brother, and according to His words in 2Thes 1 vs. 12 every word you have spoken acted by faith He will grant concerning your brother In Jesus Name - Amen.

This kinda post reminds me about my baby too now grown. He will be 15 on the 29th, and I don't know where the time went. My baby brother who is now fsdt becoming a man.

We all feel like this sometimes, but we pray that he will get into good company, so that the good in him will not be corrupted.

Babz said...

Quite touching,guess I can identify a bit with that. There's always dt point where we realize dt yesterday is really gone,and we have to decide to make the best out of the tomorrow God gives us. It is well with you bro and with us all. cheers

Fluffycutething said...

I wish my brother would become like that honestly.

He's 22 and still behaves/thinks live a juve!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, brought a tear to my eyes... as you haved asked of the Lord, may it be unto him.

Mimi said...

amen! may God guide your brother.

funny thing dropped off my brother too at the airport going back to naig after a 5 wk holiday here. and we talked too about his dreams. he is older than me though so he was giving me last minute hugs and advices.

glad to see ur back

Ms. Catwalq said...

I wish him all the best.
The world welcomes him with all the wonderful experiences ahead.

Mrs Somebody said...

I'm so glad you are back!Keep blogging girl!!!!
Your lil' bro. will be just fine.

badderchic said...

Heartfelt.Realistic. woow time flies dont it?