Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Art?...for Art's sake? (or I am just a fucking hippie...)

Note (for those that thought about saying "none of your business"): Yeah, thats right, its cos of this whole thingy. Yep. So before you "holier than thou" bloggers come "a complaining", do not bother. Sick of bloggers talking about what one can write or not write on blogs. This is the INTERNET, you can write anything you want. And these are JUST blogs, nobody will die because I agree or do not agree with their opinions. People take this shit way too seriously. Relax yourselves, abeg.


No,not trying to be intellectual here...who has time for all that "library" bullshit? I would simply like to say a few things about writing. I have no idea why other people write(I feel like I have written this sentence before, anyway), and I don't know how they feel, but I do know HOW I feel when I write.

I would say I genuinely enjoy writing. I write all the time and not always on my blog. When I did not have a blog, I used to write in normal excercise books...by hand. I still enjoy writing by hand sometimes. Until my wrist hurts. Then I am like, "what the fuck is this stone age bullshit? better take your laptop with you everywhere" but thats not possible cos my back hurts when I carry the damn thing about.

There are weeks when I do not write and I remember last year, I think there were some months when I felt like puking everytime I picked up a pen.

However, I always return to writing because I feel really good when I write. I love seeing my thoughts become words and sentences becoming "almost" how I want it to be ("almost" because there's always someone out there that will express my thoughts better than me...damn those writers! hehehehehe).

Most of the time, I do not write for other people. I write mostly for myself. However, I do not mind if other people read what I write, and I would not mind either, if they would like to pay for it.

After all, my dream life of being "retired" beckons on the beaches of the West Caribbean.

I think I have lost my point...

Aha! I remember now, here is the point I was trying to make, but as usual, someone else already expressed it better...


A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament. Its beauty comes from the fact that the author is what he is. It has nothing to do with the fact that other people want what they want. Indeed, the moment that an artist takes notice of what other people want, and tries to supply the demand, he ceases to be an artist, and becomes a dull or an amusing craftsman, an honest or a dishonest tradesman. He has no further claim to be considered as an artist.
Oscar Wilde.


Yeah, yeah, I know this is not about "writing", its about a "website", yep, I know. But it is a website for writing and writers. Hence, it makes me sad when I see stuff like this...I begin to wonder what exactly is the point of such websites? (yeah, I know, I was involved in 14th and Serenity and I can honestly tell you that I and Catwalq had the most fun planning and scheming...she does not want to work with me anymore, she claims I am too "razz" hehehehe)Is it for fun? (as in my case), creativity? helping each other? sharing tips? Or watching the process of a story unfold before you? Or?

Did I hear somebody say "you fucking hippie!" Okay, maybe not then...anyway, I understand that everybody's got to do what they got to do,and yeah, I am not so naive to think that writers do not want to make money, or get recognised, etc...you know, fame and fortune...

I don't know, I just think sometimes we lose the purpose of why we want to do things and other shit takes a hold of us...

I am not saying that sugarbelly should not have been hurt if she felt that way. I am also not saying that Myne Whitman should not have defended her integrity as a human being.

All I am saying, is that as a writer, it would be nice to think that all this is for art...you know, art, for art's sake...

Am I the only fucking hippie here?

11 comments:

Ms. Catwalq said...

When I think u cannot be anymore razz than you already are, you one up urself...

as far as creativity: there is no idea that is really original. It is always born of something else...

mizchif said...

You said it yourself......YOU ARE JUST A FUCKING HIPPIE!

A hippie i like plenty.

Unknown said...

way cool,What a way to go..
Hope everyone gets to read this post.

Unknown said...

This is truly nice.I hope everyone gets to read this piece.
Great read!

Myne said...

I think it is because it is for Art's sake and it is so dear and near to us that we get all riled up and emotional, lol.

I enjoy writing too for myself but putting smiles on people's faces or having people say, I read this from this book, hehehe. Prideful suckers we arty people right?

I'm still waiting for your book oo, or another 14th and Serenity. BTW, I wonder who holds the patents for web series and story collabos? LOL...

AliceDCL said...

hahahaha
but really
u guys should let this issue die a natural death

Anonymous said...

you really ought to patent "hehehehe". its your signature, i read your comments on other blogs too. keep up the good writing. i love your random thoughts and free spiritedness..

joicee said...

lol...I love writing but I love reading more..I enjoy your posts because of the freespirit with which you express yourself keep it up

wannabewriter said...

I totally agree with your view...btw first time here

kiibaati said...

:) (patented shy smile)

Longsufferer said...

how far??? i feel you on writing in exercise books and typing on computers ( i am lazy person)...wish it could go from my head to the sheet of paper....
anyways , as my birthday present to you...buy an i-pad, small enuff to carry around......


p.s how far with our project????