Friday, May 29, 2009

See wetin football dey cause?

I don't get why people are so obsessed with British football clubs. I only watch football when Nigeria plays or if there is some super final in Olympics or some shit. I have no feelings for any European team. I mean, I have "general knowledge" like everybody else does. I know the big teams, perhaps some key players,(especially the hot ones), etc. Maybe if I lived in football crazy England, things will be different or maybe if I have friends that are interested in football, my interest would have been piqued by now. As it is, the people I hang out with just know stuff about books, films, theatre...art stuff. I don't know anybody that cheers for any local team.

However, it seems Nigerians are totally nuts over those damn British football clubs. Boys and girls. Everybody supports a team. I remember last year, in Lagos, one of my friends asked, "so are you Man U or Arsenal?" I had no fucking clue why anybody would ask me such a question. For a moment, I thought she was offering cocktails...cos it seemed too ridiculous to me that anybody would want to know what football club I was supporting...I mean why the hell would anyone assume EVERYBODY watches the damn sport? It was really an "eye opener" cos it was then I knew there is something not "quite right".

For real, there is something not quite right, when you see grown men and women in another continent going crazy over football clubs (not even the national team but "local clubs"...yeah, thats right, make una shoot me. Na local clubs I dey call them, yeah, yeah, billions of pounds, multinational, business, sports agents, bla bla bla bla, na local clubs of England)

People say its because we do not have football clubs in Nigeria that people can follow. And people are so hungry for the sport that they now follow the English clubs...

All I am saying, is that when you see something like this you just have to admit...

Something ain't right.

5 comments:

Minor Insurrection said...

The guy surely had a few screws loose upstairs.

Adaeze said...

WTF?
ohhh..
Amen to this post! I feel exactly the same. my husband is crazed about football, and I have desperately tried to understand what the fuss is about ever since. Thankfully he is not all crazy about one team though.

Patrice said...

So I guess there is no use asking you if you are a Habs or a Leafs fan?

Ms. Catwalq said...

we do have football clubs that nigerians don't want to follow because the players are not spotting pay checks in the six figures of mama charlie currency...

personally, i don't like sports but i will cheer my people on. One day, when we value ourselves and we can stop rigging games and exploiting young nigerian sporting talents, i think we will be able to have the same furor directed homewards that we expend on foreign titles...

oh, i am a closeted "footballer's wives" fan

Anonymous said...

U dey see them for facebook? Status messages, T-shirt wearing et al. E be like say sometimes you dey my brain.
Yes, when the super eagles play, I take notice,National pride and all, after they win or have been defeated, I move on.
Thank God say the one wey I get for house na Basketball player before,I know pass am(I may have hung around one too many pool betting halls:-), whatever happened to Enyimba and the rest of them?), even now e no really get time to watch. Anyway na me get TV, hehehe.

Na home trouble or gambling debt, if you no chop belleful, add boredom, how you do that kind thing?

Nanko.