Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blast from the past.

It's been more than ten years since I left Nigeria and I remember those early years, alone in a foreign country, no friends, no family, no mobile phones.The mobile phone part is particularly important because if we had cell phones in Nigeria like we do now, I would not have been as lonely as I was. Anyway, during those early years, I spent a lot of time in the library. Reading or using the free internet. One of the sites that made me feel less lonely was this site. I used to go there and read the message board and laugh my heart out. Most of the messages then were from foreign women that had met Nigerian men and wanted to find out about Nigeria. Some asked for advice, others asked for recipes, or stupid questions such as "what are magi cubes and is there something similar in the United States?"(taken from the message board...one has to wonder the kind of men they are meeting...who can not explain what "maggi" is?)Of course, yours truly was a regular advice giver. Anyway, I stumbled across the site again and I was pleasantly surprised to see that even though the messages had dwindled, with mostly stupid adverts taking over, still, the site was still functioning. So, to the owner of that site, thank you for making a young girl's life less lonely.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes me remember my early years in the UK too. Not Pretty.
Wish I'd had what you had:-)

Anonymous said...

maggi cube is a cube that a big chicken jumps out of on tv!
:-p

Naapali said...

Amazing how much this world has changed in ten years. Hopefully we are wise.

? said...

You must have been really bored...poor you